[c-nsp] SXI leaks (was: Netflow on SUP720-3BXL)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Mar 16 11:55:04 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 03:15:01PM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> >(SXI has "slow memory leaks" in BGP, at least for us.  Cisco case has been
> >opened, but hasn't proceeded anywhere yet).
>
> Interesting. Do you have any details you can share?

This is on a "peering point + upstream provider" router, with full
IPv4 and IPv6 BGP (unicast only).  SXI non-modular, "advanced ip services".

We lose about 2-4 Mbyte of free memory per day, which goes into "holding"
for the "BGP Router" process.

It seems to be related to churn - we have another router running SXI, and
that one is used at the network edge with only about 500 BGP prefixes,
and nearly no churn.  That one has no (noticeable) memory leak.

TAC Case# is SR 610821739.

(... maybe we should really go for SXI modular... - "just restart the
BGP Router every 2 months, and reclaim all this memory without a
10-minute reboot... and maybe even get a bugfixed BGP-process without
requiring a reboot").

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de