[c-nsp] SXI leaks (was: Netflow on SUP720-3BXL)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 17 13:25:05 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:32:01AM -0500, Brandon Ewing wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 04:55:04PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> > This is on a "peering point + upstream provider" router, with full
> > IPv4 and IPv6 BGP (unicast only).  SXI non-modular, "advanced ip services".
> >
> > We lose about 2-4 Mbyte of free memory per day, which goes into "holding"
> > for the "BGP Router" process.
>
> How are you monitoring this?  Is there an OID that's easily watchable to
> keep an eye on this situation?  I have an SXI box carrying full tables from
> multiple providers, so I'm definitely getting some churn on the box.

There's an OID for free memory, out of CISCO-MEMORY-POOL.mib

        # query_base is the starting-point of CISCO-MEMORY-POOL.mib
        my $query_base = ".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1";

(we just walk the whole tree and sort out which pool is what)

Which process is holding the memory is grabbed by a script that runs
once per day and runs "show proc mem" via rsh.  Not pretty, but does the
job.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de