[c-nsp] Mutual redistribution between vrf and global routing table

nasir.shaikh at bt.com nasir.shaikh at bt.com
Tue Mar 17 15:25:25 EDT 2009

Hi,

Due to an implementation of a L2 VPN (EoMPLS) I am having to extend the boundary of my MAN running MPLS a step further towards the datacentre.
The MAN has several sites all in a simple L3 vpn.
There is redistribution between the rest of the corporate network (eigrp) and the MAN vrf en vice versa on the core MAN switches.
This is the relevant config:
ip vrf MAN
 rd 65041:100
 route-target export 65040:100
 route-target import 65040:100
 mdt default 239.18.250.1
 mdt data 239.18.251.0 0.0.0.255 threshold 500

interface GigabitEthernet3/1
 description ** 1G LAN **
 ip vrf forwarding MAN
 ip address 10.10.22.1 255.255.255.240
 ip access-group level0_g3/1 in
 ip verify unicast source reachable-via rx
 logging event link-status

<omitted>

interface TenGigabitEthernet7/4
 description ** 10G to 6509_E int TenG1/1 **
 no ip address
 logging event link-status
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet7/4.100
 description *** connection to the rest of the corporate network ***
 encapsulation dot1Q 100
 ip vrf forwarding MAN
 ip address 172.18.250.130 255.255.255.252
!
<omitted>
!
router eigrp 1
 no auto-summary
 !
 address-family ipv4 vrf MAN
 redistribute connected
 redistribute static
 redistribute bgp 65040 route-map bgp-to-eigrp
 network 172.18.250.128 0.0.0.3
 default-metric 1000000 1 255 1 1500
 no auto-summary
 autonomous-system 1
 exit-address-family
 nsf
!
router isis
<omitted>
 bfd all-interfaces
!
router bgp 65040
 bgp router-id xxxxxx
<omitted>
!
 neighbor 10.20.30.12 peer-group MAN_internal
 !
 address-family vpnv4
<omitted>
 exit-address-family
 !
 address-family ipv4 vrf MAN
 redistribute connected
 redistribute static
 redistribute eigrp 1 route-map eigrp-to-bgp
 default-information originate
 no auto-summary
 no synchronization
 exit-address-family
 !
As you can see the interfaces of the MAN sites and the interface towards the global network are in the same vrf & redist is done under address-families (eigrp and BGP)

Now due to extending the MPLS boundary (or the MAN boundary) to a device which is a part of the corporate network, I have to move the redistribution also on this device. (6509-E sup 720-3b) .
The MAN and the rest of the corporate network can be seen as one entity but redist is required because of the MPLS platform on the MAN and normal EIGRP on the rest of the network. On this 6509 (122-18.SXF7) I should have a similar redistribution as shown above but except for the interface towards the MAN there are no vrfs configured. So what are my options?
1. configure a corporate vrf and im-export the route-targets mutually between the MAN vrf
2. Use fancy PBR/VRF stuff which requires SFI
3. Do not change MPLS boundary, terminate EoMPLS on the PE, transport (trunk) all remote vlans over the corporate device (the 6509) which makes the corporate core switch part of the datacentre where the EoMPLS traffic is supposed to go.

Topology:
Remote MAN site switch =>PE--MPLS--PE=>corporate switch => datacentre switch

I am inclined towards option 1 and would like your opinions about this.
Design guidelines are:
Dynamic routing required
I can unicast more details if someone has the time and the inclination....
Sorry for the lengthy mail - trying to be as complete as possible

Nasir Shaikh
This email contains information from BT Nederland N.V., which may be privileged or confidential.
It's meant only for the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or using this information is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please let me know immediately on the email address above.
We monitor our systems, and may record your emails.

BT Nederland N.V.
Registered office:  Offices Minerva and Mercurius, Herikerbergweg 2, 1101 CM Amsterdam
Registered at the Amsterdam Chamber of Commerce no:  33296214