[c-nsp] BGP conditional advertisemet - NON-EXIST route map'saccess-list problem

RPhookun at lecg.com RPhookun at lecg.com
Tue Mar 17 18:04:29 EDT 2009

The prefix-list within the Non-Exist clause also has to *exactly* match
the prefix in the bgp table..
Regards,
./Randy

"Ivan Pepelnjak" <ip at ioshints.info>
Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
03/17/2009 02:20 PM

"'Dale Shaw'" <dale.shaw+cisco-nsp at gmail.com>, "'Burak Dikici'"
<bdikici at gmail.com>
cc
cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] BGP conditional advertisemet - NON-EXIST route
map'saccess-list problem

Did some tests on the NON-EXIST-MAP with 12.2SRC. I was spreading wrong
rumors, time to fix them:

* The route-map checks the routes in the BGP table (_not_ in the IP
routing
table). Dale was right.
* It can take a while for the routes to be advertised/withdrawn; the
non-exist-map is checked only at the BGP scan intervals (60 seconds by
default, can be adjusted).
* You can use a combination of an access-list and AS-path access-list in
the
route-map.

The handling of standard access-lists used in the "match ip address"
route-map condition is a bit weird, though:

* "permit any" does _NOT_ work.
* "permit prefix 0.0.0.0" (which gets translated into "permit prefix" in
standard ACL) does _NOT_ work.
* fancy wildcard tests (for example "permit 0.0.0.0 127.255.255.255) do
_NOT_ work

It looks like:

* the IP prefix in the BGP table must match the address in the ACL exactly
(wildcard bits are ignored).
* ... but you still need the wildcard bits (inverted netmask) for the
match
to work.

For example: if you want to match 10.8.8.0/24, you have to use "permit
10.8.8.0 0.0.0.255". "permit 10.8.8.0" or "permit 10.8.0.0 0.0.255.255" do
_NOT_ work.

Left to do: tests with the ip prefix-list instead of IP access list (and
no,
I will NOT test extended ACL :).

Hope this helps
Ivan