[c-nsp] Exceeding the bandwidth points on a 7200

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Mar 23 14:55:19 EDT 2009

I have a situation on a 7206VXR w/ a NPE-G1 where I need to add a MC DS3
module.  The box already has 4 PA-A3-OC3SMI PAs.  I'd like to add a
PA-MC-T3 to the box as well.  I know that the OC3 PAs max the bandwidth
points out for each PCI bus.  However the OC3s are very lightly loaded.
  Looking back at the graphs I don't see any of the 4 peaking over
5Mbps.  That may seem surprising considering that there are nearly 1000
PVCs configured on those 4 OCs for DSL customers; the DSLAMs are very
low-end, can only do basic ADSL, and the uplinks restrictthe average
access speeds to extremely low levels.

So my question is what happens when I exceed the bandwidth points on a
7200 where I know that bandwidth from the existing PAs won't ever be a
problem?  The box as a whole peaks at around 12-15Mbps on its uplinks.
That G1 is truly bored, averaging below 10% utilization.  I know that
IOS will bitch about it on boot but it will still continue to work won't
it?  Any other side effects (other than TAC not liking it if they see it
until I demonstrate with the graphs that it's not a problem)?

Thanks
  Justin