[c-nsp] BGP problem on IPSec links

zarenks zarenks at wp.pl
Mon Mar 23 18:50:22 EDT 2009

Hi,

I wonder if anyone had experienced the problem I have noticed with
dynamic routing (BGP) running over IPSec link.
I have traced the archived posts regarding the IPSec problems but could
not find anything regarding my case.

There is a typical remote access site connected to MPLS-VPN cloud
through IPSec tunnel.
I decide to use VTI (Virtual Tunnel Interface) configuration instead of
IPSec+GRE to support dynamic routing.

Untill I use the OSPF as a routing prot. there is no questions about the
functionality and connectivity.
Problem occures when the customer requires me to run BGP on link between
CE and PE.

The BGP session is established correcty, and I can see all the prefixes
correctly redistributed....., but....

I can not access the Customer VPN network (say: HQ) from the LAN network
on that CE (source ping, source traceroute fails)
The same situation occures if I try to access a LAN network placed
behind the CE from HQ site. (or other CE site)

It is strange, because from any point of customer VPN I can access the
CE WAN interface but no LAN.
At glance it looks like the IPSec has some problems with encapsulation
of traffic sent via BGP but in the same time, there is no problem to
show all necessary prefixes in routing tables at both sides (CE and PE).

If I only try to manualy configure (on PE) the STATIC entry for the
CE-LAN network, everything works fine as expected.....well, but this is
not the big challenge :-)

Just after posting that mail I will try to find (maybe) the answer in
section known-issues on cco regarding the 12.4T, but in the meantime, if
someone on the forum knows the issue that causes that  problem, I would
appreciate that kind of help.

Thanks in advance
zarenks