[c-nsp] Needs some help with QOS

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Tue Mar 24 10:36:45 EDT 2009

First, thanks to those who pointed out my (should have been obvious)
error where I named the access-list qos1 but then tried to reference it
with al-qos1. When you're looking for a big problem it's easy to
overlook the obvious.

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 12:56 +0000, Tim Franklin wrote:
> On Tue, March 24, 2009 12:12 pm, Ivan Pepelnjak wrote:
>
> > What is your upstream connection? If you're using PPPoE, you won't be able
> > to do any output queuing, as the outbound LAN interface is never saturated
> > (the bottleneck is experienced by the DSL modem).
>
> If you know what your upstream bandwidth is, you can wrap a shaper around
> the queueing policy to provide the back-pressure.  Useful for all sorts of
> 'ethernet hand-off' type services where the circuit provider has some
> other device upstream of your router.

Ok, that also seems to be the point of this link which was provided in
another response.

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800b2d29.shtml

Basically, the virtual interfaces "do not implement the "back-pressure
algorithm" necessary to signal that excess packets should be queued by
the Layer 3 (L3) queueing system."

Ok, so I'm going to have to implement a new solution based on that
document.

So just a final question, would the solution have worked if it was on a
regular interface? I just want to make sure I had the right idea.

Regards,
-
John Lange
http://www.johnlange.ca