[c-nsp] Blocking "bad users" based on MAC Address

Rick Coloccia coloccia at geneseo.edu
Tue Mar 24 15:42:46 EDT 2009

Is anyone doing anything like this in a Catalyst 6500?  I'm running a
sup 720 with ios 12.2(33)SXH4. I have a "bad user" that I need to block,
regardless of where or how they connect to the lan.  I hoped that by
blocking their mac address, where-ever it may appear, I might be able to
accomplish what I need.
This doesn't seem to work on my test device.  My gut tells me that the
problem is in my mac address acl.  Thoughts? Other ways to do this?

Thanks!
-Rick

mac access-list extended AllDevices
 permit any any
mac access-list extended BadDevices
 permit host 0016.6f99.9e61 any
 permit any host 0016.6f99.9e61
!
!
vlan access-map DropBadDevices 10
 match mac address BadDevices
 action drop
vlan access-map DropBadDevices 20
 match mac address AllDevices
 action forward
!
vlan filter DropBadDevices vlan-list 3030

c6513#show run int vlan 3030
interface Vlan3030
 description ~VLAN 3030 - Encrypted Wireless
 ip dhcp relay information trusted
 ip address 137.238.100.1 255.255.252.0
 ip helper-address 137.238.1.16
 ip flow ingress
 ip pim sparse-dense-mode
end

c6513#show vlan access-map DropBadDevices
Vlan access-map "DropBadDevices"  10
        match: mac address BadDevices
        action: drop
Vlan access-map "DropBadDevices"  20
        match: mac address AllDevices
        action: forward

c6513#show vlan filter vlan 3030
Vlan 3030 has filter DropBadDevices.
        filter is active

c6513#show vlan filter acc
c6513#show vlan filter access-map DropBadDevices
VLAN Map DropBadDevices:
        Configured on VLANs:  3030
            Active on VLANs:  3030

c6513#show mac-address-table | include 9e61
* 3030  0016.6f99.9e61   dynamic  Yes          0   Po1

--
Rick Coloccia, Jr.
Network Manager