[c-nsp] Question about CBWFQ and PING times

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Wed Mar 25 20:04:23 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

Much appreciate your help with understanding QoS a little better.

---

I tried to create a Heirarchical QoS policy on a spare 7606 we have here
and no go. Tried to create a parent shaper and policer and neither
worked when the service-policy was applied to the interface.

With parent shaper:

POP2(config-if)#service-policy output POP2-POP2-PRI-PARENT-POLICY
shape average command is not supported for this interface
Configuration failed!

With parent policer:

POP2(config-if)#service-policy output MEL-TAS-PRI-PARENT-POLICY
Hierarchical policymap is not supported for this interface.
Configuration failed!

---

You wrote - "You need to tell the router that it only has 200 mbps and
not the full 1 Gbps. Otherwise it will allocate ~50 mbps (your
5%) for priority traffic and ~950 mbps for class-default."

This statement may be true but when I do a "show policy-map interface"
command, it seems to allocate the percentage of bandwidth correctly as
to what I've specified with the "bandwidth" interface command (ie:
bandwidth 5% (10000 kbps)). I read somewhere that the QoS policy takes
into account what you set the "bandwidth" interface command to. This
seems to be true when I do a "show policy-map interface" because it's
using the "bandwidth" interface command to allocate the bandwidth as
shown below.

Eg:

POP2#sh run int g4/0/2

interface GigabitEthernet4/0/2
 description POP2 to POP1
 bandwidth 200000
 ip address 203.17.96.x 255.255.255.252
 load-interval 30
 negotiation auto
 mpls ip
 service-policy output POP2-POP1-QOS-POLICY

POP2#sh policy-map int g4/0/2

 GigabitEthernet4/0/2

  Service-policy output: POP2-POP1-QOS-POLICY

  Counters last updated 00:00:00 ago

    Class-map: POP2-POP1-PRIORITY-CLASS (match-all)
      257210114 packets, 100115814069 bytes
      30 second offered rate 714000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: access-group name POP2-POP1-PRIORITY-ACL
      Queueing
      queue limit 2500 packets
      (queue depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0
      (pkts output/bytes output) 257210496/100115335835

      bandwidth 5% (10000 kbps)

    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      17135073305 packets, 13449181375380 bytes
      30 second offered rate 118450000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any

      queue limit 47500 packets
      (queue depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0
      (pkts output/bytes output) 17135119901/13449209630832

        Exp-weight-constant: 9 (1/512)
        Mean queue depth: 1 packets

---

So will issuing the "bandwidth" interface command allow the scheduler to
issue the correct bandwidth requirements for each class? Or does the
fact that it's a GigE interface mean that the buffers never become
exhausted and in theory no congestion will take place, so the
"bandwidth" interface command (eventhough set) plays no real part ???

Thanks.

--

Regards,

Andy Saykao