[c-nsp] EIGRP Neighbor tracking

Ryan Hughes rshughes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 00:36:22 EDT 2009

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone on list has run into issues where their routed
Metro-E links will sometimes stay up as the mux isn't properly downing the
interface ( cheap gear without interface tracking per se) when the circuit
goes down. Pinging the interface doesn't really apply in this situation as
there is routed dark fiber links for backup connectivity. I was thinking
along the lines of an EEM script to source pings from the connected
interface and see if its up and send an SNMP but I haven't had time to
script it. I really don't need to accomlish anything fancy - just an alarm
so the NOC can see it and report it to us.

Researching the SNMP MIB but there didn't seem to be anything available. I
had run into this issue in the past but I was doing BGP over the link which
obviously offers the neighbor down snmp trap.Honestly, I'd prefer to have
the provider resolve the issue on their gear but given the aggressive
pricing of the circuit I'm not sure I have much recourse.

Appreciate the feedback.

Ryan