[c-nsp] EIGRP Neighbor tracking

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Thu Mar 26 01:35:59 EDT 2009

If all you need is to track whether you can ping the directly connected IP
address and react on the tracked object "down" status, you can use EEM with
the "event track X state up|down" trigger.

See the "Not so very static routes" section in this article
http://www.nil.com/ipcorner/SmallSiteMultiHoming/ for the SLA and tracking
object configuration. The "Monitoring reliable static routing" section in
the same article has the EEM examples.

If you happen to be running EIGRP on the link (as your message subject would
indicate), you can use syslog event detector in EEM to detect when the EIGRP
neighbor goes down. EEM is also able to generate SNMP traps if that's what
you prefer to receive.

If you need more EEM sample code (for example, how to send an e-mail), check
my EEM posts (http://blog.ioshints.info/search/label/EEM) or EEM sample
scripts in our wiki (http://wiki.nil.com/Category:EEM).

Hope this helps
Ivan