[c-nsp] Lightstream freeze

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Mar 27 13:15:15 EDT 2009

On Friday 27 March 2009 03:47:53 Sebastian Ganschow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as far as i know and cisco says, a lightstream should be hot-swap capable.
>
> Does anyone know which reason could be, that a lightstream freezes, if you
> pull a WAI-E3-4BNC Card?

Are you pulling the PAM only, or the whole CAM?

What IOS release are you on?  This is an LS1010, I assume.  ASP-B or ASP-C (or
8515MSRP)?

Those boxes are quite old, now, and you may be tickling an old hardware or IOS
bug.  If you have support on it, it's EOL Last Date of Support isn't until
April 29, 2011.  Can't get a new contract now, but you can renew an existing
one until April 2010.

I had an 8510MSR 'section' in an old Catalyst 5500 I retired a few months ago,
and never had issues with OIR on IOS 12.1(26)E3 (itself a pretty old, but
still supported, IOS train).  I only used OC3 and OC12 PAMs in it, so you
might be tickling a bug in your particular PAM.

There is a 12.0 mainline caveat for the LS1010, CSCdw36579, that relates to
this issue.  The description is:

Symptom: OIR of port adapters does not work as expected using 12.0 mainline
software on the LightStream 1010.

Workaround: Use the latest W5 image or do not OIR the port adapters
individually. OIR the carrier module, remove the port adapter and then
reinstall the carrier module.
( from
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps718/prod_release_note09186a008049913f.html#wp36005
)

So you want to be on the latest 12.0W5 train image, or upgrade to the 12.1E
train.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer