[c-nsp] 10GE card for 7609

Frederic LOUI frederic.loui at renater.fr
Tue Mar 31 04:15:21 EDT 2009

Hi Mark,
Mark Tech a écrit :
> Hi

> I have a prospect for a 10G upstream customer and Upstream ISP connections. I would need to connect these into our 7609s running RSP 720-3CXL's, at the moment I have found that the WS-X6704-10GE card may be suitable.

We've re-used  WS-X6704-10GE (from our 6500 without DFC3CXL daughter card)
> My technical requirements are:
> 10Gbps line rate

10G => yes
> IPv4
> Able to handle full Internet routing table
> Potentially IPv6 and MPLS in the future

We're implementing all of these features without (as from now) any issue
except VPLS which needs ES20/ES40 or ES(combo)
We're also using IPv4 (sparse mode with anycast RP ) /IPv6 multicast
with embedded RP, pseudowire, L3VPN with MPLS.
As far as it goes 6VPE is also supported... (We also tested in lab,
traffic-engineering with CRS1 in the tunnel path and it has worked at
10Gb rate)
For whatever reason CISCO recommended a 4gb RAM RSP memory upgrade if
the 7600 need but I'm not convinced about this recommendation.
(Note that if you need to upgrade you need to purchase 2x4Gb in case of
redundant RSP)
> With the WS-X6704-10GE, there seems to be several options that are available with it i.e.
>
> Memory Option:
> MEM-XCEF720-256M
> Catalyst 6500 256MB DDR, xCEF720 (67xx interface, DFC3A)
> MEM-XCEF720-512M
> Cat 6500 512MB DDR, xCEF720 (67xx interface, DFC3A/DFC3B)
> MEM-XCEF720-1GB
> Catalyst 6500 1GB DDR, xCEF720 (67xx interface, DFC3BXL)

> Distributed Forwarding Card Option
>
> WS-F6700-CFC
> Catalyst 6500 Central Fwd Card for WS-X67xx modules
> WS-F6700-DFC3B
> Catalyst 6500 Dist Fwd Card, 256K Routes for WS-X67xx
> WS-F6700-DFC3A
> Catalyst 6500 Dist Fwd Card for WS-X67xx modules
> WS-F6700-DFC3BXL
> Catalyst 6500 Dist Fwd Card- 3BXL, for WS-X67xx
> WS-F6700-DFC3C
> Catalyst 6500 Dist Fwd Card for WS-X67xx modules
> WS-F6700-DFC3CXL
> Catalyst 6500 Dist Fwd Card- 3CXL, for WS-X67xx
>
> I assume that I would need MEM-XCEF720-1GB and WS-F6700-DFC3CXL?

Yes. WS-F6700-DFC3CXL becomes handy if you're planning to use netflow as
the NDE(we extensively use it at full flow)  is handle by the Forwarding
card.
(So the RSP7203CXL won't handle NDE burden) Again, more RAM would help
to have more room for NETFLOW cache. But maybe this RAM is useful for
another feature that I'm not awre of.

Netflow is useful and the only way (we found) to monitor IPv6 traffic on
this platform as IPv6 MIBs are not available on this architecture.
> Regards
>
> Mark

Cheers/Fred