[c-nsp] Cisco MPLS interoperability with Mikrotik (or Linux) MPLS

Danny Vernals danny.vernals at gmail.com
Fri May 1 10:00:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have anynone done any testing interoperating Cisco MPLS (Cat 6k or
> 7600 families) with Mikrotik (which is just packaging of MPLS Linux) ?
> I'm specially curious about EoMPLS and H-VPLS interoperating, but
> basic LDP/RSVP/MPLS-TE/MPLS-FRR also needs to be addressed, of course.

I can't comment to the Mikrotik aspect but I've played around with
MPLS linux (mpls-linux.sourceforge.net/) a bit recently.  The kernel
label forwarding aspect (including EoMPLS) seems well maintained and
I've managed to get a Linux instance participating with off the shelf
routers in MPLS forwarding.

Label distribution protocols don't seem to be as well maintained, LDP
being the most mature although you'll need to compile from the latest
sources downloaded from the projects' Subversion server.  There are
code trees for Quagga for MP-BGP support although I would consider
this alpha at best.  afaik there is no RSVP or VPLS support yet.