[c-nsp] Channelized DS3 over SM fiber handoff

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat May 2 04:07:05 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 11:12:35PM -0400, Ryan Werber wrote:
> Allstream at 151 front street in Toronto does this.  They run a single
> strand SMF and they terminate it into a form of a media converter, which
> passes off 2x BNC as expected for a DS3.  They do this for both clear
> channel and channelized DS3.

Yes, this is the normal way.  "Outside the house", run it on SMF fiber,
and the customer handoff is 2x BNC.  Telco provides the conversion gear
(and everything on the fiber side is their responsibility).

I've never seen a DS3 handed off as fiber either.

> Interestingly enough, our channelized OC12s come in on a pair of SMF
> from them.

I'm not sure what's "interesting" about this - there's no standard for
OC12 over anything else but fiber, and in telco world, fiber nearly
always means "SMF".

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de