[c-nsp] alternatives to Cisco's SFPs

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 5 18:51:22 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 11:18:16PM +0100, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>> Does anyone have good experience with non-Cisco SFPs? In particular,
>> we're trying to look for lower cost alternatives to GLC-T (or
>> SFP-GE-T), GLC-SX-MM (SFP-GE-S) and  GLC-LH-SM (SFP-GE-L). Also, any
>> problem with using non-Cisco SFPs (even after enabling "service
>> unsupported-transceiver")?
>
>You can buy "Cisco coded" SFPs from a significant number of vendors,
>at much better price than Cisco. We have bought such SFPs from, among

Yep

>others, Zycko. We never had a problem using SFPs not purchased from

We buy the ProLabs ones, from hardware.com

They're excellent.

>Cisco - but buyer beware, there *are* definitely lower quality SFPs
>out there. YMMV.

Ho ho. We once paid a not-inconsiderable amount for a try of "real"
Cisco SFPs that turned out to be fakes.

Beware of fakes - as well as having crappy lasers, sensors and build
quality, many of them have duplicate serial numbers and two such SFPs
WILL NOT work in most Cisco kit, "service unsupp" is no help.