[c-nsp] alternatives to Cisco's SFPs

Larry Stites ncnet at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 6 16:21:32 EDT 2009

It's my understanding that Non Cisco SFPs which are Cisco coded have DOM
³Digital Optical Monitoring² specified in the part number description, which
is what Cisco specs for these units. Does anyone else have information on
determining how non Cisco SFP are Cisco coded?

As far as 'lower quality' SFPs - counterfeits are mostly manufactured in
China - so we stay away from those. Plus if the price is too good to be
true, it usually is. We have supplied the following Cisco compatible SFPs to
numerous customers who installed into Cisco gear with no compatibility
issues. They have been functioning for years. These SFPs are coded to work
in Cisco units:

GLC-T-OEM
Cisco Compatible 1000Base-T SFP Copper 100 Meter 30-1410-02 Rev2 $179.each
SFP-GE-S-OEM
Cisco Compatible 1000BASE-SX SFP Transceiver, with DOM $124.each
SFP-GE-L-OEM
Cisco Compatible 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver with DOM $169.each
1 year warranty

Best regards,

Larry E. Stites
Northern California Networks, Inc.