[c-nsp] The mechanics of SSO

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Wed May 6 16:50:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 04:39:40PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> I would recommend trying to get the devices on SXF16 or SXI1 if
> possible.  You may need to send a break and interrupt the boot process
> on one (hope you have good OOB and know how to do this).

What do you mean "you may need to send a break and interrupt the boot
process on one"?  I mean, I know how to do that, and know why I might
under a variety of conditions, but what circumstances are you
referring to?

We've been stuck on SXF becasue of the CSM, but after hitting this
bug, we'll be spinning up our CSMs in a spare chassis just so we can
avoid the bug that started the whole damn thing.

> This is also reinforces the reason some people do not run dual
> processor systems.  They sometimes fail in really bad ways.

Indeed, though honestly, it was no worse than the reboot time we'd see
from a single SUP.  And it has saved me before.

I can imagine that others may have seen much worse from dual SUPs :)

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie