[c-nsp] BGP and OSPF - redesign

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon May 11 10:39:12 EDT 2009

chris at lavin-llc.com wrote:

[snip]

> The problem I'm struggling with is how to transition the routes out
> of OSPF so that iBGP is used to carry the traffic, thus reducing OSPF
> based routes to only be responsible for building the full iBGP mesh.
> Most of the appropriate goodies are in place, like locked in
> router-id's and no synch. But the jenga-like configurations of
> redistribution and network statements make for a mind bending
> exercise for trying to migrate to the ISP Essentials formula.

Ouch.  I'm guessing that iBGP carries less than the full set of routes
that it should be carrying, and OSPF is carrying more than the set of
routes that it should be carrying.

Here's my thoughts:

1:  Add in any necessary configurations so that OSPF is carrying AT
LEAST what it'll have at the end of the project.
2:  Update BGP so that it's carrying everything that it should be carrying.
3:  Trim BGP so that it's carrying nothing more than what it should be
carrying.
4:  Trim OSPF so that it's carrying nothing more than what it should be
carrying.

pt