[c-nsp] [SPAM?] Certification Ethics

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Tue May 12 10:29:30 EDT 2009

A big giant YMMV and "just my two cents", but here goes:

I agree with OP Chris that it still feels like cheating, but Steve
here definitely hits on a major point:
Even if you have the best of intentions and integrity, and have
studied the textbooks and courses as best you can, you will still run
into strange questions that require "the Cisco answer", or at least a
very particular detail that you didn't see covered in the text and
which you don't use in real work.  If I saw another engineer, who I
respected and knew to be capable, using the "test keys" type materials
to prepare him for those questions... well, I might disagree, but I
probably wouldn't fault him for it.

Amongst the reputable guys I've know preparing for the exams, the most
solid "final" stage of preparation, the one that really checks whether
you learned what you were supposed to and also prepares you for these
"Cisco answers" is... the exam itself.  If you're gonna take the CCNP
Routing exam (BSCI), you study until you really feel like "I know
routing now.  I understand those concepts and protocols." then you
take the exam.  You probably fail.  No great shame in that.  But
having taken the exam, you should have seen all the questions, and
gotten a feel for what you're missing.  Now you take another week or
two to focus on the points you were weak on (the score report tries to
break this down for you, but it may miss the point) and you re-take
it.  If you fail it more than twice in a row, you're probably doing
something wrong.

Now, all that said, there's another complication or two.  Everyone has
different learning methods and study habits and levels of retention,
but I find that the closer the material is to your actual daily
production work, the better.  I had much more trouble remembering the
protocols and techniques I never worked with than the ones I worked on
every day.  Only natural.  Even labs can only go so far.  As they say,
necessity is the mother of invention.  Production gear in real-world
environments will often yield unusual requirements, prompting you to
consider strange solutions.

Lastly - the money.  Taking the exams isn't free, so it's tough to go
into the exam expecting to fail it, and write off the cost to
learning.  For me, I just consider it part of my training expenses,
and a more efficient use of that money than boot camps.  But I'll
admit being intimidated by the cost of the CCIE Lab, especially given
the expectation of failing it the first time around...

-Geoff