[c-nsp] is-is question

victor vitya at list.ru
Wed May 13 15:32:23 EDT 2009

Hi
Because of a recent change of the organizational structure of the company
I'm employed by I was given an order to migrate all the current routing
infrastructure (a couple of c7604, c7201 and a dozen of c4924) from OSPF
to is-is. I've never worked with is-is before and after a bit of studying
I feel comfortable enough with the concept and a possible migration
strategy. The only question I have so far is what is-is level should I
prefer? With OSPF all devices reside in Area 0. Naturally the closest
match from is-is world would be to configure only one level-1 area. But
during my search the web for the best practices I saw somewhere that with
the same result I could put each device into  separate areas configuring
only level-2 interarea routing and completely abandon idea of level-1.
I'd very much like to hear your opinion on this matter.