[c-nsp] Some advice on switches....

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Thu May 14 08:49:32 EDT 2009

Well these sorts of details are definitely something to confirm with
someone from Cisco, before dropping the cash on it.
I'm personally happy to contribute advice, but you wouldn't want to be
explaining to your boss that your $100,000 switches aren't working
even though "some guy on the mailing list said it would"

There's a Configurator tool on the cisco.com website, which allows you
to put together a box and check the compatibility of the modules
involved, but access may be restricted to sufficiently large accounts.
 Ditto for talking to a dedicated Cisco sales rep - if your business
is enough of a Cisco buyer (or you're buying through a VAR, and
they're sufficiently large) then there should be someone from Cisco to
field these types of questions.  Failing all that, if you're a small
customer, surely there's "chat with a Cisco rep" or "email this
address with questions".

Anyway, with the disclaimers out of the way...
All of the "stackables" (fixed 1 or 2U, non-modular switches like the
2960, 3750, etc) do not do Netflow.  The 4500 just barely does
Netflow, meaning that only the Sup V supports it, and you either need
to purchase that daughter-card, or purchase a Sup V-10GE.  If Netflow
is a must-have, then you either:

1.  Go with the Sup V.  This will limit your throughput a bit, as it's
not the "E series" like the 6, but it sounds like your bandwidth
requirements are modest (I'm not sure why others are lamenting the 6
Gbps or 32 Gbps backplane limitations of the 4500 classic or Sup32,
when your design calls for 48 10/100 port switches uplinked via one or
two gig ports, but they are correct.)

2.  Go with the 2960's, but put a router at the top instead of the
3560.  Something in the ISR line, like 2800 or 3800, would also give
you some options for voice/video services.

3.  Move up to the 6500.  It'll bump your price up a bit, but it'll do
Netflow (and probably everything else you want to do).  A Sup32 will
probably meet your bandwidth needs, a Sup 32 PISA will throw in stuff
like NBAR.  You'll have the option of adding any services blades
(firewall, VPN, wireless, etc) if the need arises.  Do be aware
however, that if you find yourself needing more power, like you want
to up the access ports to gig, you'll need to buy new Supervisors
along with the new line cards.

What you ultimately choose depends on the many details of your
environment which you're in a better place to understand than we are.
If you think this network is going to grow and expand over the next
few years, requiring more bandwidth and more elaborate routing or
services, then the 6500 is probably the most flexible and powerful of
the three options.   If you think the access ports will never need to
go gig, and you don't need Netflow, but you want to ensure no
over-subscription, then probably go with the 4500 and the 6E - the 48
ports in your stackables can theoretically add up to 4.8 Gbps, and
you're not gonna push that through the 2960 and his gig uplinks.  If
the over-subscription isn't a big concern, but you really want Netflow
and maybe some voice services, consider the stackables + ISR.  You'll
be piping your traffic through a handful of gig ports, but you'll get
access to the "routery" features like Netflow and NBAR, as well as
lots of options for modules.

There's lots of tradeoffs involved, and ultimately it's up to you to
figure out which things you really want and which things you give up.
We can just help a bit with the options.

-Geoff