[c-nsp] alternatives to Cisco's SFPs

nick hatch nicholas.hatch at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:03:57 EDT 2009

Throwing in my two-cents...

I've always had surprisingly good luck on third-party SFPs. Recently I
replaced a 1000BaseZX Cisco GBIC transceiver with an ACP-EP no-name SFP
replacement. It was a bit of a leap of faith (less than 10% of the Cisco
price), so I treated it as an experiment, assumed that the optical
performance might not be ideal, and double-checked the link budget before
moving forward. In the months that followed, it has proved reliable.

I'd be interested to hear any tips when sourcing cheaper optics: even
finding a reliable data sheet for many manufacturers proved near impossible.

-Nick