[c-nsp] network simulator

Ge Moua moua0100 at umn.edu
Mon May 18 09:46:08 EDT 2009

If I understand you correctly you prefer a s/w virtual environment (VM)
that can simulate multiple switches; doing "trunking (802.1 ?)" and
"switch access ports".  Maybe preferably if this was akin to a Cisco
switch with its breadth of IOS command; which probably do exist as a
proprietary tool for in-house Cisco developers.

Well, I've done something similar if not exact to the summary above for
a training lab for firewall simulation.  Here is my setup:
hw:
* x86 Dual Xeon 2.6 Ghz / 4Gb RAM / 200 Gb HDD

sw:
+ (Virtualization Sw) Xen 3.3.1 running on CentOS 5.3
    + fed (1) 802.1q trunk (with 16 Vlans) from upstream Cisco3750 switch
        * (16) VMs running Ubuntu 9.04 that acts as end hosts per Vlans
and broadcast domain
    + fed (2) "switch access ports"
        * (1) for mgmt of Host VM (CentOS 5.3)
        * (1) for another guest VM (Ubuntu 9.04)

The net effect is that the Xen environment "acts" like a switch if fed
with 802.1q trunk.  I'm sure there are more elegant ways of doing what
you ask, but this setup works pretty effectively for my needs.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: moua0100 at umn.edu

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services