[c-nsp] netflow sampling

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue May 19 20:18:44 EDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 4:18 AM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> You should *not* use sampled netflow for accounting/billing.

It's my understanding that it's actually pretty common for sampled
NetFlow to be used for accounting and billing purposes.  If one makes
use of sampled flow telemetry for things such as capacity planning and
security, whyever would one object to using it for accounting/billing
purposes?  The only objection I've ever seen along these lines is in a
couple of countries whose laws/regulations could be interpreted as
disallowing the use of sampling in this context (though even in the
particular circumstances to which I refer, it was my view that this
was an overinterpretative stretch; IANAL, however).

         Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

		   -- Kevin Lawton