[c-nsp] Bandwidth displayed on Tunnel interfaces

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed May 20 19:18:45 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've got a few protocol 41 tunnels configured on a few different
routers, all for IPv6 only.

Some of the tunnels are used for BGP peering with transit providers, and
the rest join my PoPs together.

If I understand the Cisco documentation correctly, the "BW" is used
exclusively for link metric/cost, but it also shows up in my MRTG graphs
and skews the percentage results.

Since these tunnels operate on top of the same underlying connection
type as the IPv4 infrastructure, I'd like to set the bandwidth manually
to the same setting as the interface type the tunnel is connected over
(or better yet, set it globally for all tunnel interfaces).

AFAICT, doing this won't have any operational impact other than what it
would normally have on an IGP (which is fine, because all IGP is over
direct Ethernet), and fixing my graphing/statistical applications.

Can I get some feedback on whether my thinking is correct? Tunnel
bandwidth should be 100Mb:

pe2-fibre#sh int tun5
Tunnel5 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is Tunnel
  MTU 1514 bytes, BW 9 Kbit, DLY 500000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 18/255, rxload 163/255
  Encapsulation TUNNEL, loopback not set
  Keepalive not set
  Tunnel source 208.70.111.131, destination 216.218.229.118
  Tunnel protocol/transport IPv6/IP
  Tunnel TTL 255
  Fast tunneling enabled
  Tunnel transmit bandwidth 8000 (kbps)