[c-nsp] ebgp load balancing using maxiumu-paths TCAM impact on Sup720-3BXL?

Kevin Hodle kevin.hodle at gmail.com
Thu May 21 08:35:35 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

  Another option for load balancing outbound traffic in your scenario
would be to do some netflow analysis on your upstream ports and have a
look at what the top destination ASNs your outbound traffic is flowing
toward. Using this data, you can construct as-path ACLs which you can
utilize in your inbound route-map on each upstream BGP session to set
a higher local-preference  for 'preferred' routes on each session (ie
routes from ASXXX get a local-preference 1 higher than your standard
upstream route local-preference), and accept the rest of the full
table on each session with your normal local-preference. Using your
netflow analysis you should be able to achieve a fairly equal traffic
split (as you will be able to see what % of your total outbound
traffic is going to which ASNs, use this data to come up with an
approximated 50/50 outbound traffic split) and you will still have
redundancy in place for all routes if one of the sessions drop. It
would take a little more effort than simply turning on multi-pathing,
but in your scenario it might be more ideal as you won't have to worry
about 3bxl TCAM constraints with this method.

Cheers,
Kevin Hodle