[c-nsp] Interface descriptions - what do you put in?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu May 21 14:34:27 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 10:07 -0500, Pete Templin wrote:
> What do you put into your interface descriptions?  Do you document
> circuit ID, far-end equipment/port, near-end equipment/port, and/or
> anything else?

We typically use something like "TGE-trunk-HER.CORE-Te6/1" or
"FE-access-AAR-SNA-KMD-Fa0/0", mentioning local end link hardware and
type, and remote end name and interface.

On interface down/up we extract the description and sends it along with
the alert.

We're an enterprise network though, not service provider. :-)

Regards,
Peter