[c-nsp] WCCPv2 - what happens to existing connections when redirect-list is modified?

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Fri May 22 10:25:56 EDT 2009

"thus, to answer your question, anything that was previously eligable
for optimization which now is forwarded rather than redirected (due to
your redirect-list) will hit #3.  for other traffic which may be sent
to the WAAS box but where WAAS decides its not worthwhile doing
anything with, will likely have #2 apply."

I believe that the WAAS boxes also alter some of the TCP attributes
(like jumping the SEQ number way up when it enters the local WAAS,
then dropping it back down when it leaves the remote WAAS) in such a
way that, if one WAAS box suddenly disappears from the path, your TCP
session is going down, whether it was being properly optimized or not.
 They have to do this sort of thing, not just to optimize, but to
recognize each other:  If I'm "core WAAS", and I see a new TCP conn
come in, I need to know just by looking at this conn whether it's
coming from another WAAS or just an end host.  So if I'm taking a new
conn from an end host, when I pass it on I need to modify it so that
other WAASes (WAASi?  WAASen?  ouch.) know that I'm out there.

In other words, there is no scenario #2, ever.
I think the answer is pretty much #3 across the board.

As always though - someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

-Geoff