[c-nsp] General performance based routing question?

Brad Hedlund brhedlun at cisco.com
Fri May 22 12:25:50 EDT 2009

On 5/22/09 4:02 AM, "Benny Amorsen" <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:

> Does PfR do anything for incoming traffic, or is it strictly for
> outgoing traffic?
>
> Dynamic, automatic management of BGP-prefix-prepending and BGP
> communities would be quite neat. If Cisco solved that problem I'd be
> very impressed.

Benny,

PfR uses BGP AS prepend to influence path selection for incoming traffic.
For example if you have (2) ISP's and PfR detects that traffic through ISP#1
is experiencing packet loss or excessive latency, it can have the routers
connected to ISP#1 prepend AS to make ISP#2 appear to be the best path to
your domain.

Cheers,

Brad Hedlund
bhedlund at cisco.com