[c-nsp] EoMPLS/Sup32/xconnect - missing something obvious

L'argent largent at ai.net
Sat May 23 19:54:06 EDT 2009

Gert Doering wrote:

> On the interface that forms the EoMPLS bridge ("towards the customer"),
> you should NOT enable any MPLS stuff.  (I'm not sure what happens if
> you do, but that's not required).

Ok. Removed.

> You need the MPLS stuff on the 10G interface that interconnects the
> routers.
>
> Then check "show ip cef 10.0.0.114" on this router, and it should tell
> you that a MPLS path exists ("nexthop ... label yy")

I posted the ip cef detail for the two loopbacks and I don't see a label
applied after the nexthop. So no MPLS path exists.  What should I check
next?
>> #sh mpls l2 binding
>>   Destination Address: 10.0.0.114,  VC ID: 100
>>     Local Label:  unassigned.
>>     Remote Label: unassigned
>>

> This might be due to missing "mpls ip" on the 10G link.
>

>> #sh mpls interfaces
>> Interface              IP            Tunnel   BGP Static Operational
>> GigabitEthernet4/2     Yes           No       Yes No     No
>>

> ... indeed.  Don't enable MPSL on the customer-facing ports, enable it
> on your "router-to-router" interfaces.
>
> gert

So the topology looks like this:

G4/2-T5/1 <---> T5/1- G4/2.

G4/2 is customer facing.
Tengig 5/1 is router1 to router 2 facing.

Router 1's two interfaces now look like this:

interface GigabitEthernet4/2
 mtu 1526
 no ip address
 speed nonegotiate
 xconnect 10.0.0.114 100 pw-class EtherEncap

interface TenGigabitEthernet5/1
 mtu 1538
 ip address 10.1.1.37 255.255.255.252
 mpls traffic-eng tunnels
 mpls ldp discovery transport-address interface
 mpls bgp forwarding
 mpls label protocol ldp
 mpls ip

#sh ip cef 10.0.0.114 detail
10.0.0.114/32, epoch 4
  local label info: global/50
  nexthop 10.1.1.38 TenGigabitEthernet5/1

#sh ip cef 10.0.0.114
10.0.0.114/32
  nexthop 10.1.1.38 TenGigabitEthernet5/1

and

Router 2:

interface GigabitEthernet4/2
 mtu 1526
 no ip address
 speed nonegotiate
 xconnect 10.0.0.113 100 pw-class EtherEncap

interface TenGigabitEthernet5/1
 mtu 1538
 ip address 10.1.1.38 255.255.255.252
 mpls traffic-eng tunnels
 mpls ldp discovery transport-address interface
 mpls bgp forwarding
 mpls label protocol ldp
 mpls ip

#sh ip cef 10.0.0.113 detail
10.0.0.113/32, epoch 5
  local label info: global/21
  nexthop 10.1.1.37 TenGigabitEthernet5/1

#sh ip cef 10.0.0.113
10.0.0.113/32
  nexthop 10.1.1.37 TenGigabitEthernet5/1

----

I cleared the mpls ldp neighbors and they reestablished, but no other
changes that I can determine. There does not appear to be an MPLS path
between the two 10G interfaces.

sh mpls l2 binding on both routers shows unassigned labels, though the
ip cef seems to show a local label assigned.

Where should I look next?

Thanks so much for the assistance so far!