[c-nsp] reasons for giving new VLAN int a new IP

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun May 24 14:03:34 EDT 2009

> I've always added an IP on each VLAN on Cisco switches and recently
> started doing it on the BelAir BA200 quad radios out of habit.  (A
> coworker said that it wasn't required, and normally I'd test it out, but
> I'm not in a position  to easily test out this theory.)

A switch doing L2 only may need an IP address for management purposes.
However, it certainly will *not* need a VLAN *interface* complete with
IP address for each VLAN you create.

So the general principle is - one management VLAN (which should *not*
be VLAN 1) with IP address, and then any other VLAN is simply a VLAN,
it does not have an interface or IP address.

If you're using the switch as an L3 router, it's another ballgame of
course.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no