[c-nsp] Sup720-3B Gig port mac address strangeness

Jared Gillis jared at corp.sonic.net
Wed May 27 15:21:22 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm working with 2 7606s, each with 1 Sup720-3B, and noticed something strange
when moving the Supervisors between the two chassis. The MAC address assigned to
the gig ports on the Supervisor seems to stick with a chassis, rather than
follow the Supervisor.
For example, I plug Supervisor A into chassis A, and the first gig port on the
supervisor gets assigned MAC address A. Sup B in chassis B gets MAC B likewise.
I then write erase both Supervisors, power down both chassis, and swap the
Supervisors. Now Sup A is in chassis B, and Sup B in chassis A. However, Sup A
in chassis B gets MAC B, and Sup B in chassis A gets MAC A.

This is contrary to how I would expect this to work, as MACs are usually
programmed into the EEPROM on the interface card. This is supported by the Cisco
docs here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Hardware_Guides/Supervisor_Engine_and_Route_Switch_Processor_Guide/SupE01.html#wp1015861

Is this a known "feature" of the 7600/Sup720-3B?

--
Jared Gillis - jared at corp.sonic.net       Sonic.net, Inc.
Network Operations                        2260 Apollo Way