[c-nsp] heat fins popping loose on WS-X67xx cards

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Thu May 28 12:19:23 EDT 2009

In the past 9 days I've found that 3 of our Catalyst 6500 WS-X67xx cards (2
WS-X6748-GE-TX & 1 WS-X6748-SFP) had dislodged heat fins.  The fins are
supposed to be tethered by a spring hooked into a small wire loop which seems
to be soldered onto the circuit board.  In the case at hand the wire loop
pulls out of the board & the heat fin then flops around free & in 1 case the
wire loop was rattling around on the card.  Not good.

I'm trying to determine if this is a systemic problem or just a fluke.  It
seems like a design flaw, with the spring being too much for the soldered
wire loop.  Has anybody else seen this?  If so, with how many cards & of what
types?