[c-nsp] heat fins popping loose on WS-X67xx cards

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Fri May 29 09:58:11 EDT 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> Can someone please take a photo and upload it somewhere, so everyone else can
> better understand what exactly is the issue you're talking about?

Take a look at:
    http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jnford/images/IMG_0589.jpg
    http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jnford/images/IMG_0590.jpg
The first shows the "Z1" socket in the background with the fuzzy loop in the
foreground. The second shows the heat fin & loop in the foregraound with the
socket in the background.  The loop is supposed to be in the Z1 socket.

Based on the responses I've received it seems that this is a fairly common
failure due to a design flaw.  I got the usual "that's strange; nobody else
is having this problem" from Cisco.  I now have ample justification for
telling them "bull".

Thanks everybody.

Jay