[c-nsp] Latest iteration of core upgrade - questions

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Nov 1 13:18:43 EST 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009 03:02:21 am Rick Ernst wrote:

> > ---  It was an "in", but now it's "at".  I can still
> > argue it being
>
> appropriate as a border/"upstream" device and also as
> aggregation/"customer".

You probably want to try separating both functions where
possible, otherwise your routing policies on a multi-
function box may get too complex (I've been in bad
situations where border routers had to double as route
reflectors - not very pretty).

> > --- One 720x per upstream, split into dual cores.

Sounds good.

> > We
> > had also considered
>
> landing upstreams directly on the 7600s, but this allow
> for a core device failure without losing upstream
> capacity.

Again, wherever possible, try separating those functions.

> --- I've looked at other vendors, but a big reason for
> sticking with Cisco is we have the in-house knowledge.
> Changing vendors while re-architecting a production
> network seems to be a bad idea.

Fair enough - it's always best to go with what you're
comfortable handling.

> --- What is the benefit in having 4 devices instead of 2?
>  It seems like you'd just be passing the same traffic
> through double the number of devices.

Like I'd said, you'd only grow to 4x (2x for edge + core
aggregation, and 2x for border + core aggregation) if it
became necessary. You'd normally find this in PoP's where
you've got a lot of upstream service concentration,
typically your flagship PoP when you started operations.

Depending on how many border routers you have (as well as
what other devices may be sitting at this layer), there may
be a need for a number of Ethernet ports.

Furthermore, assuming border + edge switch aggregation were
collapsed into a single device, failure of either would
affect Internet traffic for customers connecting to the same
PoP. However, assume traffic to the Internet is coming in
from another PoP, which connects to your core routers -
here, a failure of a combined border + edge core switch
affects both the local and remote PoP's. If you had 2x core
switches dedicated for your border + core aggregation,
remote PoP's would still have Internet access assuming the
main PoP was their exit to the rest of the world.

Again, these are all dynamics respective to an individual
business. As I'd mentioned, it's typically considered only
where necessary.

> -- I had actually considered another pair of 7600s at the
> aggregation layer, but we currently have ~300 ports in
> use and the cable management is a nightmare.   The 4948s
> let us to a "top-of-rack" design and run back to the
> core.  We could have done the same thing with a pair of
> 7600s and dumb layer-2 switches, but using the 4948s
> allows incremental upgrades/migration.

Understand - this where I think the Nexus 7000 series may
excel.

Cheers,

Mark.