[c-nsp] Linux VPN client suggestion?

Eloy Paris elparis at cisco.com
Tue Nov 3 13:53:32 EST 2009

Hi Scott,

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 10:34:04AM -0800, Scott Granados wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm running presently Cisco ASA 5520 hardware with the Cisco VPN client
> to provide remote users access to network resources.  I have one user who
> is interested in a client for Linux (specifically CentOS) and not sure
> what to suggest.  Does anyone have any good pointers for a good client
> that I can point him to?
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

The Cisco VPN Client does support *some* versions of Linux. However, it
does not work with the latest versions of the Linux kernel so if you
user's kernel is recent (and unfortunately, "recent" doesn't really have
to be very recent) then the official Cisco VPN Client is not an option.

However, there is an open source VPN client that works with Cisco VPN
headends. I personally use and it works great:

http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/

It's included in pretty much all Linux distributions. A quick Google
search for "centos vpnc" turned this up as the first hit:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/vpnc

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

--