[c-nsp] Cisco vs. Juniper

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Nov 4 23:52:59 EST 2009

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 09:49:52 pm Derick Winkworth
wrote:

> Really?  The price difference between a 240 and 480 has
> always made me wonder why someone wouldn't just buy the
> 480.  The difference is small.

That is is true - the difference in price "of the chassis"
would even have your Juniper account team baffled enough as
to why you'd insist on an MX240 and not an MX480, that
they'll probably just give you the chassis upgrade for free
to shut you up and move the meeting along :-).

But that's not the point - when we consider space
requirements, cost of the MX-FPC, DPC (and now, MPC) cards
for the MX-series, where an ASR1000 would suffice better,
Cisco have a better lead.

> We'll have to wait and see what the answer is going to
> be to the ASR.  I suspect it will be the SRX, because
> of the integrated services and flow-based QoS.

Yep, let's wait and see.

Cheers,

Mark.