[c-nsp] IS-IS Multiarea on 12.2 SR

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Nov 6 03:09:58 EST 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:

> to have only the default-route in the RIB. Not sure if this helps, not
> sure which problem you are trying to solve :)

This is probably the biggest problem, the few people doing L1-L2
separation are those into academia/theoretics (passing a test/exam), when
you go into the real world it's no longer in major use.

I've never bothered to learn about ISIS L1, never needed to, see no use
for it in real life. L2-only is the way to go.

I'd also recommend against it from a sw standpoint. Sure, the sw supports
it, but it hasn't been exposed to real life as much as L2 only because of
above reasons.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se