[c-nsp] Experiences with l2tpv3/xconnect?

Holger hl at r-kom.de
Fri Nov 6 04:22:41 EST 2009

On 06.11.09 10:26, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009, Rens wrote:
Hi,
> > I have already done up to 400 Mbps with 2811 or 2821 (don't remember)
> > You just have to make sure your MTU is high enough depending on the frame
> > sizes you want to tunnel.
I get the 2801 to tunnel about 40mbit, depending on package size of course.
I think 400mbit is more than possible.

> Just out of morbid curiousity - so will the router terminating L2TPv3 actually
> fragment and reassemble L2TPv3 frames as needed, or is it hoping another
> upstream router will fragment as needed?
Yes, both l2tp router will fragment and reassemble as needed, but you might
get problems if any transit router is fragmenting again. You should lower
your mtu at the external interface to prevent that. Furthermore you
will notice a big performance hit with packets causing fragmentation.

> Adrian
Holger