[c-nsp] Please help clarify bus/fabric terminology on the 6500/7600

Rick Ernst cnsp at shreddedmail.com
Fri Nov 6 07:15:39 EST 2009

Thanks (and Gert, too),

So,

- The 32Gbs bus is shared and the PFC on the sup does the forwarding
- The switch fabric is on the Sup; DFC cards use the fabric, others use the
PFC
- The fabric is limited to 8 or 20Gbs depending on Sup; CEF 256cards use
8Gbs, CEF720 uses 20gbs if the Sup supports it
- Lowest-common-denominator applies to DFC cards; you get the DFC features,
capabilities and TCAM of the least capable card/Sup, but you can
mix-and-match
- If I happen to install a 256K DFC in a 1M TCAM system, can the DFC be
forced off; 1M TCAM via the 32Gbs bus?
- The 32Gbs bus and 20Gbs fabric are total capacity; could you push
1Gbs/31Gbs on the 32Gbs bus?
- Design considerations need to include Sup level, PFC, DFC, 32Gbs shared,
8gbs/20Gbs fabric

>From a practical viewpoint, I'm currently pushing a little less than ~800Mbs
in+out at about 120Kpps. It's getting to be too much for my current software
forwarding, especially during D/DoS.  A Sup720-3BXL gives me 1M routes in
TCAM, and 15Gbs/30Mpps forwarding in the PFC. Control-plane and data-plane
separation, with data-plane in hardware. I could use any combination of line
cards and still be significantly ahead of my current utilization.  As the
bits get bigger and faster, I can offload forwarding onto DFC-enabled cards,
but I'd need to start with DFCs that also have the large TCAM, otherwise
I'm  still using the 32Gbs bus and the PFC.

For D/DoS purposes, policing is handled in hardware at the port ASIC.  If a
1Gbs-connected network were to go nuts and was throttled to 1Mbs, neither
the bus nor fabric would see the .99Gbs?

Rick