[c-nsp] Please help clarify bus/fabric terminology on the 6500/7600

Rick Ernst cnsp at shreddedmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:06:36 EST 2009

Thanks everybody for all the feedback and information.  Between that and the
white paper I'm starting to feel comfortable with my decision-making
process. At worst, I can start asking more intelligent questions (and be
able to vet the answers) of Cisco.

One piece that I'm still unclear on is on CEF256/fabric cards and
connectivity to the rest of the system.  The white paper says:
  "- CEF256: The line card in this mode supports a connection into the
32-Gbps shared bus and the switch fabric-these line cards will use the
switch fabric for data switching when the Supervisor Engine 720 is
present-if a Supervisor Engine 32 is present it will revert back to using
the 32-Gbps shared bus."

The way that is written, a CEF256 card in a Sup720 equipped chassis will use
the 8Gbs fabric to move data around.  In a sparsely populated (eg 2 CEF256
cards) system there is more capacity on the shared 32Gbs bus than on the
fabric.  Am I misreading/misunderstanding?

Does forcing the card into flow-through mode address this?

Rick