[c-nsp] IS-IS Multiarea on 12.2 SR

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Nov 8 07:10:05 EST 2009

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Mark Tinka wrote:

> Well, a route is a route. The difference between
> philosophies is just the volume.
>
> I get your point, but who's to say I won't have 10,000
> routers in production?

In order to detect loopbacks going away and using this to
invalidate/remove next-hops quickly, you can't aggregate anyway.

Sorry, I have yet to hear someone describe an ISP network (designed as per
ISP essentials, carry loopbacks in IGP and everything else in BGP), where
IGP aggregation makes sense. If you have 10k routers in your IGP, well,
you most likely did something wrong earlier in the process.

Also, with modern processorns and techniques such as partial tree
recalculation in modern router OSes, I'm sure even 10k routers would be
manageable in a single area.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se