[c-nsp] 7600 for ip transit uplink

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Nov 9 06:44:55 EST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 11:56:18AM +0100, vince anton wrote:
> im looking at using a 7600 to terminate a 10GE uplink for IP transit to my
> upstream. no BGP full table yet, just a default route.
>
> I will be using a 6704 to connect the 7600 my core, of course also using
> 10GE links.

We're using 6704 and 6708 to terminate uplinks, and they do the job
nicely.  BUT: we have plenty of bandwidth available, so we have no
need for QoS or deep buffers or anything more fancy offered by the SIP
or ES cards.

> Im aware that 6704 is a LAN card, as opposed to using a SIP-600 which is
> intended for WAN which offers deeper buffers, shaping etc...  but the price
> difference is enormous!

Yes.  Our design choice was "for the total amount of money we have, just
get more bandwidth".

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de