[c-nsp] MPLS Multi-AS options...

jimmi jimmi at netpoint.com.br
Mon Nov 9 13:07:57 EST 2009

Folks.

I read these papers long time ago, so I do not remember anymore exactly what
this options labels (A, B, AB,...) definition means.

What I can tell you guys is that I operate a network which has a Inter-AS
peering were we exchange IPv4 & VPNv4 prefixes and traffic while  maintaining
QoS services compability at both sides (ASs) for long time, and customers
which VPNs have sites serviced by both ASs have their QoS requirements honored
at both ASs Backbones and last mile connections.

I already had real "Inter-AS + QoS compatibility" experience with Cisco being
the only platform, and where Cisco interoperate with (two) different vendors,
and that worked just fine.

This deployment where you just had to establish a single eBGP peering at VPNv4
address-family to exchange VPNv4 prefixes and traffic (of course you may
exchange IPv4 also, and may establish redundant peerings) brings lots of
benefits. It does not impact at your ASBR resources, reduces the number of
connections between ASBRs & routing gets simplified, allows oversubscription
between ASBRs, does not require your to act at the borders (ASBRs) each time a
"site" is added or removed from a customer VPN (despite where this site is
connected).

[]s.

Jimmi.