[c-nsp] 7600 for ip transit uplink

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 04:34:14 EST 2009

thanks for your replies

anthony, yes you are correct, its surely 10GE (6704 or SPA being the
question), and not SDH/OC192

I currently have 6704 links to my internal core working just fine, but those
are LAN links as intended by design of the card :)

the choice and suitability of the interface to the upstream carrier is the
question here, as the cost of a 10G interface on the already existing 6704
card is low (basically the cost of the XENPAK), compared to the cost of a
SIP/ES20 which is $$$

then again if there are serious issues with using the LAN port for an
upstream, it _may_ perhaps justify the price if we gain on stability, etc..

would be interesting to know the _technical_ reasons why cisco frown at
this.

thanks

anton