[c-nsp] What's the value of ASA/FWSM TCP state bypass?

Ryan West rwest at zyedge.com
Tue Nov 10 16:54:28 EST 2009

Hi,

I've used it when there is only a layer 2 switch at a branch office and a CE managed MPLS router is on the same segment.  If the ASA is the default route in this scenario and traffic is sent to the MPLS router, the handshakes don't complete and the traffic is dropped.  There are other ways around this, of course, but it's an option to allow the ASA to route on its inside interface before it examines the flow.  Netscreens have no issue with this and Checkpoints just need to know about the internal network and they will route as well.

-ryan