[c-nsp] Fiber

Ian McDonald iam at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 08:29:28 EST 2009

madunix wrote:
> I need to know your opinion about fiber to desk i.e. pros and cons..
>
> Thanks in advance.

Well, it does rather depend on your requirements.

My opinion is that it's good:
where you're not allowed copper, like oil refineries
where copper cable won't work due to massive interference
where you must have runs to desktops that are over 90m (tho I've some
long runs on cat6 that work at 100M, just keep them below 200m, and use
quality cable)

Downsides are obviously:
cost of adapters for PCs
cost of fibre switches
single-technology (you don't get 10/100/1000 fibre standards, so you
have to do all one-standard)
it's more sensitive to being bashed, stood on, etc

Back in the day, when they thought copper was dead, Brand-Rex developed
a shotgun copper+blown-fibre tube called BloTwist.
(http://www.ezziengineering.com/pdf/cables/BloliteBro.pdf) . Of all the
places our local Brand-Rex guy knows they fitted it, not one has used
the fibre capability to date.

What actually is your requirement?

--
ian

Ian McDonald, ITS, University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland: SC013532