[c-nsp] Fiber

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Nov 12 12:04:00 EST 2009

On Friday 13 November 2009 12:12:47 am madunix wrote:

> am just trying to take advantage of using light
> technologies in LAN for our new building, due to long
> distance between the offices over 90m, i know fiber is
> fast expensive and copper gigabit still far cheaper, and
> fiber to desktop isn't required for a majority of
> applications.

If the cost of deploying a fibre-based LAN (in terms of
fibre spools, optics, CPE/converters, NIC's, maintenance,
e.t.c.) outweighs the cost of doing a FTTB (Basement) and
feeding trunk fibre pairs up to strategically-positioned
copper-based Ethernet switches where you're not having to
worry about cable distance to users, then you have your
answer.

Else, you'd need to make the hard choices :-).

And don't just look at capex. Consider opex too (both
financial and otherwise).

Cheers,

Mark.