[c-nsp] C6K, SUP720, 12.2(33)SXI, CoPP, glean

John.Herbert at ins.com John.Herbert at ins.com
Sat Nov 14 10:25:23 EST 2009

Ok, so apologies if I'm repeating things you know very well already...

Hardware CoPP for CEF Glean is disabled by default, so assuming you have enabled hardware CoPP, if you chose to enable glean rate-limiting (with the "mls rate-limit unicast cef glean <pps> <burst>" command) then presumably you put values in that command to determine the limits. If you're dropping cef glean traffic under normal usage, then (ignoring potential IOS bugs) that suggests that your limits are too low perhaps?

To be clear (and I think from what you've said, you already know this), the CEF Glean RL includes traffic that's punted to the CPU because it needs an ARP to be performed to complete the next hop adjacency, but should not affect the ARP request itself. However, if you are dropping the glean packets that would have generated the ARP request in the first place then I can see how that could spiral out of control quickly by generating more glean packets because of the lack of ARP entry.

If in doubt (and again, you may have done this before starting on the CoPP work), it may be worth either getting some netflow data to identify if you have excessive cef glean traffic, and/or set up a monitor session on the control plane to see if there's something odd going on.

j.